My American Story
The My American Public Service Announcements (PSAs) tell the stories of Americans who have stepped up to be part of the solution to meeting community needs. They have built homes, reconnected families, mentored kids and transformed their own lives. The PSAs feature volunteers telling us - in their own words - how service has changed their lives and strengthened their communities. One of the national PSAs features President Obama asking every American to make service a part of their daily lives.
We are asking for those who have served to share their story with us, either by using our Stories of Service tool or by uploading a video response to our Public Service Announcement (PSA).
How To Upload a Video
- Review the guidelines for submission before you begin.
- Make a video clip (up to 1 minute long) describing your service experience:
- Start off with "My name is ... from ... and this is My American Story."
- Tell the story of your service experience – whether volunteering in your community or place of worship, participating in a national service program, or serving in the military or reserves. Be creative and have fun!
- Include pictures of your service experience if possible.
- Try to use a good microphone or speak loudly enough to be heard on your video clip.
- If you do not have a free YouTube account, create one.
- Submit your video as a video response to our main My American Story PSA on Serve.gov's YouTube site.
- To submit a video response, go to the PSA and click inside the comment box (below the video):
Then click the "Attach a video" link that appears.
- From there, you'll be able to select your video and upload it as a video response.
NOTE: All video responses will be reviewed before they appear as a response to the PSA to ensure that they follow our rules and eligibility requirements.
- You may live anywhere and be a citizen of any country.
- Videos should be less than 1 minute long.
- Videos must not contain violence, profanity, sex, indecent remarks or direct attacks on individuals or organizations.
- The video must be your own original creation. No copyrighted music, video, or images may be used in submissions. If you display commercial products, obscure the label, logo, etc. so neither the manufacturer nor the specific product is recognizable. Videos containing links to commercial Web sites will not be accepted.
- Videos must not infringe on any third party rights.
- If we'd like to feature your video on our website(s) or would like to use it in a compilation video, we will contact you through YouTube to provide the original video.
- By submitting a video to this project, you grant the Corporation for National and Community Service a royalty-free license to copy, distribute, modify, display and perform publicly and otherwise use, and authorize others to use, your video for any educational purpose throughout the world and in any media.
- The Corporation for National and Community Service reserves the right to make your video available to the general public from its Web site and to distribute it to groups and any other organizations interested in showing it for educational purposes, including, but not limited to, on Internet sites, at conferences and events, on television, and other media outlets.
- Please do not use the Corporation's seals, marks, or logos (including the Serve.gov logo). If you are a member or volunteer through one of the Corporation's existing designated service programs (AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, Learn and Serve America), please defer to the existing acceptable use policy of your program.
- By submitting a video for this project, entrants agree to these rules. The Corporation for National and Community Service will disqualify any entries it deems to contain material in violation of these rules.
- The Corporation for National and Community Service reserves the right to not feature videos or create compilation videos.
Terms of Participation: Find a Volunteer Opportunity | Register a Project
Corporation for National and Community Service | Contact Us | Security and Privacy
Link to Us / Logos | Accessibility | FOIA | No Fear Act | Site Notices | Federal Register Notices | USA.gov
This is an official website of the U.S. Government
Site Last Updated: June 08, 2016